Hey There, Guys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hey There, Guys

Post  JordyBoothy on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 pm

I kinda feel like making some noise in this part of the forum, mostly because I'm excited for Starswirl Academy and I want to contribute something toward it, even if it's just a "hello" thread. Because, unlike the script I wrote for the writer's audition, this will probably be successful.

So, hello! I understand if you don't see much point in posting a hello back to me. Maybe you could answer this question instead:

How often do you smile to strangers in the street, and what's your reaction when it happens to you?

If I find someone's deliberately looking at me (which happens a lot due to my strange hair) then I know it's appropriate to smile, since they're basically inviting me to show some acknowledgment. You'd be surprised how many people smile back, and it's a good feeling. Reminds you that you're not repulsive.

What are your feelings?

JordyBoothy

Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-01-31
Age : 23
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  TheHockeyGamer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 pm

JordyBoothy wrote:I kinda feel like making some noise in this part of the forum, mostly because I'm excited for Starswirl Academy and I want to contribute something toward it, even if it's just a "hello" thread. Because, unlike the script I wrote for the writer's audition, this will probably be successful.

I didn't even bother putting in a script. I already know I'm a bad writer, and I already like the perspective being a fan has given me. Plus, if I did send one in and end up on the writing staff, my preview video would have to be scrapped.

JordyBoothy wrote:So, hello! I understand if you don't see much point in posting a hello back to me.

There's never no point in not saying hello. Especially if someone is courteous enough to say it first. Smile

JordyBoothy wrote:How often do you smile to strangers in the street, and what's your reaction when it happens to you?

What are your feelings?

Oh god, I don't do this enough. I'm extremely introverted IRL, and I kinda keep to myself. I wear big, intrusive headphones and listen to music just to avoid people. At my job I'm required to be more social and say hi, it's surprisingly easy there. Maybe it's the paid motivation. I don't know.

When someone smiles at me randomly, I smile back. It's the nice thing to do, it's how I was raised. I didn't realize other people did differently, actually, I would expect most people to say that like how we both did.
avatar
TheHockeyGamer

Posts : 131
Join date : 2013-10-18
Age : 22
Location : Kamloops, BC, Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/hardysforever

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  JordyBoothy on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 pm

TheHockeyGamer wrote:snip

Yes, I think being part of the production team would take away the magic of experiencing the finished product, but I thought this would be a great exercise for my professionalism. It would also be a good way to finally have some work experience and to receive feedback. So what's this about a preview video?

I wonder if your confidence at work stems from the position you're in. It's like being given permission to speak to people and you kind of know that your customers/clients expect you to speak. If it's a random encounter however, you have less way of knowing whether they'll welcome some sort of communication, so it's easier to play it safe and do nothing.

Thanks for the reply! Smile


JordyBoothy

Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-01-31
Age : 23
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  TheHockeyGamer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

JordyBoothy wrote:
TheHockeyGamer wrote:snip

Yes, I think being part of the production team would take away the magic of experiencing the finished product, but I thought this would be a great exercise for my professionalism. It would also be a good way to finally have some work experience and to receive feedback. So what's this about a preview video?

Thanks for the reply! Smile

No problem.

I can see where you're coming from with the experience and feedback, but I like being a fan.

Preview video. I'll be posting it in its own thread when it's finished, I need to upgrade my PC before I can actually make it. It's scripted and the lines are recorded, though. Basically, the idea came about when I saw a thread on here talking about another "review" of the first demo. From it, it was obvious that the person went in biased against it and refused to see anything good because at the time it was still related to ponies. Not only that, but the person acted like the demo was the full game despite the download being labelled as the demo. It was unprofessional and I wanted to try doing one myself. Of course, the original was a text review and mine is video, but that's my bread and butter. I have more of an audience than just the people here, small as it is, so I figured I should make it mostly for them (since the people here are going to get it anyway).
avatar
TheHockeyGamer

Posts : 131
Join date : 2013-10-18
Age : 22
Location : Kamloops, BC, Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/hardysforever

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  JordyBoothy on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Well it's nice of you to wanna stand up for SA like that. I do get frustrated when people derive their opinions entirely from someone else, just because the source is popular. I hope that the people who saw this guy's review, assuming it's as bad as you say it is, have the common sense to judge for themselves before deciding how they feel about SA.

I only find use for reviews when I want to verify my own thoughts toward something. I feel good when the majority of reviewers agree with me, though I don't change my mind so easily if they disagree. Making a video preview sounds pretty fun though. I hope you enjoy it.

JordyBoothy

Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-01-31
Age : 23
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  TheHockeyGamer on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

JordyBoothy wrote:Well it's nice of you to wanna stand up for SA like that. I do get frustrated when people derive their opinions entirely from someone else, just because the source is popular. I hope that the people who saw this guy's review, assuming it's as bad as you say it is, have the common sense to judge for themselves before deciding how they feel about SA.

I only find use for reviews when I want to verify my own thoughts toward something. I feel good when the majority of reviewers agree with me, though I don't change my mind so easily if they disagree. Making a video preview sounds pretty fun though. I hope you enjoy it.  

Since it's a preview, and not a review, it's less about saying "you should/shouldn't play this" and more about "this is what it is so far and the potential of it". Scripting and recording it was really fun, and I'm sure editing it will be. I just hope that it ends up being as good as it is in my head.

And I hate that too, when people don't like something because it's tied to something else. I know one of my friends who refused to play Katawa Shoujo because it comes from 4chan and only expressed interest in this after the Hasbro thing happened. He's still a cool guy, but that irked me.
avatar
TheHockeyGamer

Posts : 131
Join date : 2013-10-18
Age : 22
Location : Kamloops, BC, Canada

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/hardysforever

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  gekiganwing on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 pm

As stated in Ebert's Law, a movie is about *how* it is about it. In other words...

* Some of the sources that influenced Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet had happy endings, and some adaptations made since then also avoid character deaths. Better yet, there were stagings of King Lear which removed all the tragedy from the play.

* The My Little Pony franchise began as toys, and one major reason why various cartoons have been created over the years is to support the toys. Think about how G1, G3, G3.5, and G4 compare and constrast. How much is each iteration a commercial for merchandise? How toyetic is each one?

* What spinoffs and stories have you avoided based on their origins? Consider Lyrical Nanoha. It became a franchise almost a decade ago, and it has a number of strengths and quality seasons/versions. It can all be traced back to Triangle Heart 3, which is not safe for work.

* The freeware visual novel Moonshine features a character named Mai who isn't really male or female. The translators have positive things to say about the story, but admit that it can be quite divisive.
avatar
gekiganwing

Posts : 30
Join date : 2012-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  JordyBoothy on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Ebert's Law is a great law. Although I am guilty of dismissing things which are medieval-based, because I assume it'll be knights and kings and battles and fair maidens and boring shit like that. There was a time where I didn't take to RPGs or Sci-Fis very well, until I played Mass Effect which changed my view completely. ME didn't focus on the fact it was a Sci-Fi as much as it did its characters and story lines.

JordyBoothy

Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-01-31
Age : 23
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hey There, Guys

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum